4 Reasons Home Workouts Were Made for Summer
By Jen Mueller from SparkPeople
Warm days are almost upon us, which means two things:
- As the temperature rises, you’ll be pulling your shorts, tank tops and swimsuits out of storage.
- You might just pick those clothes and lounging by the pool over hopping in your hot car to drive to the local gym. It’s tempting, we know, but fitting in a short time to exercise every day is the key to a healthier, happier you! Why not compromise? Take the driving time out of the mix by adding home workouts to your fitness routine. Squeezing in a sweat session at home is easier than you think, and it will make you feel great and give you the confidence to sport those cute summer clothes.
Years ago—back when I had the flexibility to go whenever I wanted and stay for as long as I liked—I belonged to a gym. I assumed that having so much variety at my fingertips (cardio and weight machines, free weights, fitness classes) was the best way to stay in shape and see results. But that was then. Since having kids, my schedule has changed significantly. The only way I’ve continued to make exercise a consistent part of my daily routine is to squeeze in a home workout before the day begins. Interestingly, my fitness level hasn’t suffered at all. With a little creativity and a few key pieces of equipment, I’m able to do a variety of challenging workouts without having to leave home.
Whether you’re short on time, money or just aren’t interested in a gym membership, home workouts can be a great alternative to help you get in shape and reach your health and fitness goals. Besides the extra money in your wallet, here are some of the other benefits of home workouts:
- Time: Instead of spending 20 minutes driving to the gym and then waiting for a machine to become available, you can start your workout at a moment’s notice. Twenty minutes is just enough time to fit in a quick cardio or strength workout before moving on with your busy day.
- Comfort: If the idea of exercising in front of others gives you anxiety, have no fear. Working out at home allows you to focus on your form or flow without worrying that all eyes are on you.
- Work at your own pace: At-home exercise videos include the same moves you would see in a gym fitness class, without the pressure to keep up in a class that’s too challenging. You can progress at the pace that works best for you.
- Unlimited hours of operation: The gym might not open until 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday or stay open until 10:00 p.m. on Friday night, but your home is always open for business! For people with hectic schedules or irregular work hours, the flexibility of exercising when it suits their lifestyle is a major plus.
The truth is, you don’t need an expensive gym membership or lots of fancy equipment to get a good workout. The three things you really need are consistency, challenge and variety, all of which can be achieved in the comfort of your own home. You’ll be summer-ready in no time!
Lucky for you, the recently launched SparkPeople.TV has a number of features specifically for those who want to work up a sweat without ever leaving home. Use the Workout Finder to easily choose from more than 500 free videos, ranging from cardio and strength to yoga and meditation.
About the Author Jen Mueller:
Jen Mueller received her master’s degree in health promotion and education from the University of Cincinnati. A mom and avid marathon runner, she is an ACE-certified personal trainer, health coach, medical exercise specialist and behavior change specialist. She is currently working as the SparkPeople Community Director and Fitness Coach.