Cold Showers >> Top 4 Reasons Why They Are Good for You
Do you get chills at the mere thought of an icy cold shower?
We can relate to that – there are definitely nicer things to imagine.
But you should still give the so-called James Bond or Scottish shower a chance – just read the 4 convincing reasons below!
#1 Cold water improves your circulation
If you have a hard time getting going in the morning, jump in a cold shower. Even if it’s really hard to do, you should alternate between cold and warm water when you shower. You’ll see how quickly it wakes you up. The cold water increases the circulation in your body, which leads to a higher demand for oxygen. You automatically start breathing deeper – this fights off fatigue.
Contrast showers – how to do it right
- Rinse off with warm water.
- Slowly make the water cooler.
- First rinse off your right leg with cold water, starting on the outer side of your ankle. That is the spot farthest away from your heart. Work your way up gradually. Then rinse off your left leg.
- Now it’s time for your arms: start on the back of your right hand up to your shoulder. Then start at your armpit down the inside of your arm to your palm. Do the same on your left arm.
- Rinse the rest of your body with cold water. Repeat the above steps with warm water, then rinse your whole body with cold water one more time.
#2 …and improves your health
A cold shower in the morning does more than wake you up and improve your circulation. The cold and warm stimuli constrict and dilate your blood vessels, which strengthens your immune system. Studies have also shown that cold water reduces sore muscles and supports recovery after sports.
#3 Cold showers help treat depression
A study by the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine showed that cold showers have another benefit. They have a positive effect on people who suffer from depression: the cold sends more electrical impulses to the brain, which can help ease depression.
Keep in mind: Slowly turn the temperature of the water down until it’s about 20°C (70°F). Feel free to turn the temperature down even more if you want. You should take cold showers once or twice a day for several weeks for 2 to 3 minutes.
#4 …and stimulate weight loss
Cold water works wonders – according to numerous studies; it even helps you lose weight. Human beings have brown and white fatty tissue. Brown fat is the “good” fat that keeps us warm when we’re exposed to cold. White fat, in contrast, is stored when we consume more fat than we need – this is the fat that leads to obesity. If you take a cold shower, the brown fat is activated: body fat conversion increases and the body starts burning calories.