Gluten-Free, Low-Carb Muffins With Poppy Seeds
If you’ve chosen to go gluten-free or need to do so for dietary reasons, you might be thinking off all the things you’ll have to sacrifice. We’re here to help you cross one of those no-no foods off your list — muffins! This gluten-free, low-carb variation will let you continue to enjoy tasty pastries without a guilty conscience or an upset tummy. Let’s hit the kitchen!
- 4 eggs
- 100g coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (untreated)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1-2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp xylitol (or a little more honey)
- 200g almonds, ground
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 180° C / 350° F.
2. Separate egg whites and yolks, then beat the whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
3. Wash the lemons under hot water, rub dry and finely grate the peel.
4. Mix the yolks with salt, cinnamon, baking soda, honey, xylitol, lemon zest and coconut oil (or melted butter), then add almonds and poppy seeds.
5. Carefully fold in the beaten egg whites, then line a muffin tray with paper cups or grease. Pour the mixture into the cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes in your preheated oven.
So, will you bake muffins today? Which recipes would you love to see on the Runtastic blog? Let us know in the comments section!