Flat Stomach – Mission Impossible? These 4 Tips Can Make a Difference
If you consider your belly a problem zone when it comes to fat loss, you are not alone. This is especially true if you already lost some weight, but still feel far away from a “flat tummy”.
Is it really so hard to get a flat stomach or are you doing it wrong?
Here’s what you should know:
- Focusing solely on problem areas can backfire: The more you obsess about your belly, the further away you get from feeling confident in your body, no matter the size. Start with a reassessment of your goals. Focus on making healthier choices long term and getting your core powerful and able to support you in all activities of daily life.
- Bloat vs. fat: It is unrealistic to expect that you can have a flat stomach 24/7. Even if you lose a lot of fat from your abdominal area, you will still notice daily fluctuations from bloating. A completely flat stomach is not a “natural state” for your body.
Can you get your stomach flat fast?
It takes a lot of dedication to get a flat stomach, and, as always, it starts with a healthy lifestyle. Your belly won’t disappear from one day to the next, no matter what miracle cure you try. One thing you can do is reduce bloating by avoiding certain foods, such as legumes, cruciferous vegetables, and dairy products.
The following 4 tips are key to achieving a flat stomach…
4 vital tips for a flat(ter) stomach
1. Focus on intense, total-body workouts
It’s nearly impossible to get abs with targeted exercises when there is a layer of fat on top. It’s better to focus on total-body workouts, like those in the Results app, that recruit many muscle groups at the same time. This will result in more calories burned and more overall body fat lost. When you are working out at an intensity level that is challenging for you, you don’t need to spend hours working out. Find out how to crank up the intensity and burn more calories during your next workout.
Having a hard time pushing yourself to train hard? Try recruiting a friend to join you for your workouts.
2. Get that core strong
The best exercise to strengthen your core is the Plank! And when your core is strong, you will get stronger overall. You will have better form and be more fit for all types of activities. So get to know and love this exercise, as well as many other exercises that challenge your core. Not only does the Plank hit the core muscles hard, it also helps you improve your balance and strengthens your back and chest. Even your legs have to do some work.
Make it your mission to try a plank variation during every single workout. Once you start getting a feeling for your abdominal muscles, you will feel much more confident about your midsection.
3. Stay away from alcohol
This might get a “BOOO!” from the crowd, but it’s really important. Not only is alcohol full of empty calories, it also releases estrogen into the bloodstream which, in excess, can cause you to put on weight. If you’re really serious about getting a flat belly for summer, keep your alcohol intake to a minimum.
4. Take control of your eating habits
I say this all the time, but you can’t outtrain a bad diet. In fact, your eating habits are the key here. Check out the steps you can take:
- Get rid of all the processed foods, microwave dinners, fast food, chips, soda, etc. All the extra sugar and sodium will surely prevent you from getting rid of the belly pooch. Don’t forget – sugar is hidden in many foods where you wouldn’t expect it.
- Think whole foods: fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and heart-healthy fats! This fruity quinoa salad is perfect for summer and, when that sweet tooth starts calling, sink your teeth into these deliciously moist brownies made with kidney beans!
- Drink plenty of water. This will prevent that extra bloat and help boost your metabolism. Some other drinks can help you reduce your belly bloat, too.
Getting a flat stomach is not an overnight project, but it’s also not impossible.
Before deciding that you really want to go for it, be aware that it will likely require bigger changes in your nutrition and current lifestyle. If you start working out, take control of your eating habits, reduce alcohol intake, and strengthen your core – you will already be much more confident on the beach.
Start today with a 12-week workout plan you can do at home without equipment!