How Often Should You Exercise per Week to Lose Weight?
Would you like to know how often you have to exercise to lose weight? OK, I can give you some general tips on how often you have to work out per week. An individual and goal-oriented plan will help you to achieve lasting results.
What is the optimal amount of exercise per week?
The right number of sessions per week differs from individual to individual and largely depends on many factors relating to your body and your training. For instance, beginners will, of course, train less often than regular fitness buffs. Another factor concerns the type of workouts you do. Workouts mainly consisting of cardiovascular training to improve your endurance like cycling, swimming, walking, jogging, indoor rowing and indoor cross-training have to be seen differently than strength training with your own body weight or free weights for the purpose of building muscle. All these factors are important and have to be considered before giving any reasonable training suggestions. The hardest thing for me as a personal trainer is to come up with the best custom training plan for each of my clients.
How to reduce your weight effectively
If you want to shed pounds, you need to incorporate the following principles into your training plan, your workouts and how you perform the exercises:
- Step out of your comfort zone, and don’t give your body the chance to get used to a routine. Mix up the intensity, duration and volume of your workouts by changing the distance, number of sets and repetitions. Vary the frequency of exercises, and work intervals into your cardio sessions. Shoot for more efficiency in your cardiovascular training by including bodyweight training. Runtastic Results is a great way to combine your strength and cardio training.
- Incorporate a specific strength training session with free weights into your weekly training plan. To keep it simple: The more muscle you have in terms of your total body mass, the more calories you burn per workout.
- The three pillars of training, sleep and nutrition form the basis for reaching your ideal weight in a steady and lasting way. You have to consider and optimize each and every aspect.
- One very important rule that everyone should follow regardless of fitness level is “Never skip a rest day!” Make sure to take a break from all fitness activities at least once a week.
When I work with my clients, my tips and suggestions concerning how often to exercise mainly depend on the individual factors and aspects discussed above:
- In general, three to five workouts per week (or in other words, three to five hours of physical exercise) tend to produce good results.
- Beginners, as well as more advanced athletes, will see the biggest benefits if they work out three to four times a week.
- The main thing is that you schedule a rest day between the different sessions.
- You should take at least one day off after two consecutive days of strength training.
As I see it, a healthy balance of strength and cardio training is the most effective and efficient way to not only lose weight, but to reach and maintain a sound level of fitness.