"Running with the Olympic Torch in London – the best moment of my life" – runtastic CEO Florian Gschwandtner
What an amazing experience! Before running with the Olympic torch, I thought it might be a nice event with a few memories. I was wrong! This was the best event I´ve ever attended and there were many special moments for me that I will remember forever. Thank you to all the people who were responsible for this and a big thank you to SAMSUNG for the awesome organization.
I was able to take one guest with me to London. My parents never had the chance to travel because they are farmers and did not have time for vacation, so I chose my father to attend. He had never been to London before and was very excited.
Key highlights from the weekend:
– Picked up at the airport with a lot of motivated people
– Arrived at the amazing “Royal Horeseguard Hotel” with some of the best surroundings in London
– Sunday 4am (yes am) – wake up – and I was one of the first torchbearers on my great day
– Got the number 18 and had to run in Redbridge – Gants Hill Underground Station
– During the bus ride to Redbridge there were already thousands of people cheering – what an amazing feeling
– Time to get on the road, together with the torch *proud*
– ‘WOW effect’ (I read about the wow effect a couple of month ago in the book “Delivering Happiness”) – now I know it exactly what the ‘wow effect’ is
– Children ran to me, took pictures and the crowd was amazed to see the torch
– The Olympic flame from the previous torchbearer was getting closer and finally we did the Olympic torch pass
– Now it was my time – run, but not too fast – enjoy every single second – it’s your moment to shine! And it definitely was my moment!
– What an unbelievable feeling – I can´t tell you, but it was the best I´ve ever had!
– Crying, cheering, laughing, … everybody was looking at the torch, the Olympic flame and the torchbearer (in this case me)
– After the event I spent time with the other torchbearers – exchanged stories and experiences
– In the evening there was a special Samsung dinner – second ‘wow effect’
– We visited the London Eye – perfect view and 25°C weather (yes that’s possible in London)
– Monday we visited Stamford bridge and I got a jersey with the same number I wore in the relay
Thank you London! Thank you Olympics! And thank you Samsung for making all this possible!
I received the torch and it will get a special place in my flat and in my memory, as this is an event I will remember forever!
Today the torch is in the runtastic headquarters and it is providing us with extra motivation to keep creating great products for athletes, beginners and every body to get fit and enjoy sports.