5 Tips To Counteract A Sedentary Lifestyle
Let’s face it, a lot of us spend our most productive hours seated at a desk in front of a computer. Technology is a fascinating tool, but it is also resulting in more and more of us to leading a sedentary lifestyle. While we have the ability to communicate all over the world in real time, we are doing very little to communicate with our bodies – in particular moving them and being guilty of physical inactivity.
We all work long hours and have a busy schedule, yet that is not an excuse to skimp on time for physical activity. In fact, a sedentary job requiring you to stand or sit for extended periods of time can actually be harmful to your body and cause muscle pain, weakness and increase the rate of mortality. It’s time to get up, move and quit that sedentary lifestyle for you, and for your health.
How familiar does this sound to you? You wake up early in the morning, sit in your car/bus and ride to work, sit at your desk and work, then sit down and eat your lunch only to go back to sitting at your desk and then you come home and have a seat on the couch feeling exhausted. But come to think about it, did you really do anything physically exhausting? If this sounds like you then you’re leading a sedentary lifestyle. But I get it, due to all the mental stress you’ve acquired throughout the day, it can totally feel like you just ran a marathon.
Well I have great news for you. Working out reduces stress, increases the serotonin level in your body (which increases feelings of happiness) and is a much more beneficial way to unwind than just plopping yourself on the couch in front of the TV. So whether you wake up a bit earlier to do a morning workout, or keep your gym bag in your car so you can head straight for the gym after work– you really have to give your body what it craves, deserves and needs.
On top of that, why not go the extra mile and add some fit tips into your everyday schedule. If you think you’re leading sedentary lifestyle then here are some ways to incorporate fitness into your work day.
1. Walk around as you make phone calls instead of being chained to your desk
2. Pack a portable lunch or snack i.e. a burrito, a sandwich, a smoothie, fresh fruit and nuts. Take a walk outside of the office to a nearby park bench or under a shady tree and enjoy your meal/snack there.
3. Do some deskercises (exercises at your desk) throughout your day
4. Do moving meetings: If you have a meeting with your co-worker then walk and talk. Take your smartphone with you to take any notes you may need.
5. Take the stairs: Does your place of work have an elevator? Then there definitely is the option to take the stairs as well. Try doing this everyday when you get to work and it will become easier and easier.
Hope you enjoyed reading my tips on how to counteract that sedentary lifestyle!