SUPER BOWL SWEATDOWN: Ways to make healthier choices on game day
Hey all of you American Football fans, TODAY is the big game between the best two teams in the NFL this season. No matter the team you are rooting for, you should always root for your health. Instead of sitting around all day and pigging out on unhealthy snacks, try this workout & healthy appetizer idea to get you pumped up for the big game.
Super Bowl Sweatdown: The Workout
All you need is yourself & a foot ball.
- 50 jumping jacks
- 20 side shuffles (10 in each direction) touching the ground with the football every time you switch directions. Repeat 3x
- 20 push-ups with football (10 with right hand on football/ 10 with left hand on football)
- 20 frog squat jumps with football
- 1 minute plank with hands on football
Rest 1-2 minutes after completing and repeat for 3 rounds.
Super Bowl Sweatdown: Guilt- Free Nachos
- 1 bag of whole-grain chips with flax seeds and no hydrogenated oils
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1 green bellpepper
- 1/2 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 bag reduced-fat shredded cheese
- 1/2 avocado
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash and dice all vegetables. Get a baking sheet and line it with foil. Layer the chips, black beans, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, chicken (optional) & cheese and then bake for 15-20 minutes (until cheese is melted). Top with avocado, jalapeno, non-fat plain Greek yogurt and fresh lime.
For the adults who want to celebrate with an alcoholic beverage, choose a light beer for fewer calories. If you prefer hard alcohol, then choose vodka with soda water or diet tonic water instead of a higher calorie and sugar mixer like soda or juice.
As always, it’s important to find creative ways to get excited about being fit and healthy if you want to stay on track. Try out these tips on Super Bowl Sunday and I wish both of the teams the best of luck in the 2013 Super Bowl!