Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Try Bodyweight Training
Even before it became a worldwide fitness trend, bodyweight training has always been an integral part of my training program and those of people I work with. While I love to be in the gym lifting weights, I equally enjoy using my own body to challenge myself in new and intense ways.
Just to give you a short background story, I started my health and fitness journey in college at the age of 19 when I realized that I wanted to go the opposite direction of most college students: excessive drinking, partying, late nights, fast food, etc. This left me with a much smaller group of friends and much more time for myself and for working out – which I loved! I started out running and then I started throwing in some bodyweight exercises like push-ups, walking lunges, burpees, step-ups, triceps dips and more. I like to call these my interactive runs. From there I was hooked. I loved being able to do bodyweight training anytime, anywhere.
Here are my top 10 reasons why I love bodyweight training:
- I can decide to do a spontaneous workout without having to leave my house to go to the gym.
- I can constantly progress the exercises to make it harder for me as I get stronger. For example: knee push-ups > push-ups > one-legged push-ups > declined push-ups > handstand push-ups. Woo, I love them all!
- I can get an incredible workout in anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes.
- It gives me ZERO excuse not to work out.
- When I progress an exercise, it makes me feel like Superwoman!
- I can do bodyweight training at home, in a hotel room, outside, at a friend’s house, in the office – anywhere!
- It’s great cross-training for running and biking.
- It reminds me of how powerful the human body is, pushes me to my limits and helps me realize what I am truly capable of.
- There is SO much variety. I love chatting about and comparing favorite bodyweight exercises with other fitness professionals.
- I can (and will) do it forever!!!