Wings for Life World Run ➤ What It Is and How to Prepare
Ever heard of a road race where the finish line comes to you? A race with no set distance where everyone runs for as long as they can? The Wings for Life World Run brings together competitive and recreational runners for an amazing shared running experience.
The Wings For Life World Run will take place on May 5, 2019. Join thousands of people around the world running together for a good cause!
About the Wings for Life World Run
The non-profit organization Wings for Life started this unique running event in 2014. Their goal is to find a cure for spinal cord injuries. That’s why 100% of the event entry fees go to studies and spinal cord research projects.
How the Wings For Life World Run Works
Unlike other races, there is no distance to register for in the Wings for Life World Run. How does it work?
- All of the participants start running at the same time everywhere around the world on May 5, 2019.
- 30 minutes after the race starts the Catcher Car sets off at all locations.
- The race is finished for you as soon as the Catcher Car passes you.
- The winner of the Wings For Life World Run 2019 is the one who runs the farthest.
You like the idea and would like to participate?
How to Prepare for the Race
These 4 tips will help you get ready:
1. Get motivated for the run with the new “Challenges” feature
Are you ready to slip on your running shoes? The new Challenges feature in the Runtastic app will keep you motivated:
Join the Wings for Life World Run Challenge and run 45 km in 45 days* and you’ll have the chance to win great prizes:
- 1 x trip to the Wings for Life World Run in Vienna (incl. race participation, travel, and hotel costs)
- 20 x one Wings for Life World Run start number (single registration) for the location of your choice
- 1 x personalized Wings for Life World Run t-shirt for 1st place
* The Challenge takes place from March 1st to April 14th. Here you can find the terms & conditions.
2. Make sure you have the right equipment
As the race takes place all around the world at the same time, it means that a lot of people run in different conditions. Maybe you will run in the dark or even in the rain?
Use this equipment checklist to make sure that you have everything you need for your race conditions.
3. Don’t forget to warm up
The right warm-up can help you boost your running performance and help your muscles last longer.
4. Choose a steady running pace
Make sure you don’t start out too fast – the Catcher Car only starts 30 minutes after the beginning of the race. If you can, speed up when you hear it approaching.